Sunday, January 22, 2012

Gravestones where you least expect them!

On the 4th of July a few years ago, 2007 to be exact, we went fishing with family.  It was a beautiful day and everyone was enjoying the sun, the ocean, and time with each other.  When I got annoyed at my own clumsiness, I turned my attention to other things.  You can find the post about that day here.

If you are on Facebook, here is a link to the fishing story: http://www.homespunhonolulu.com/lets-go-fishing/)

My attention turned to photos of the interesting surroundings.  Here is what I wrote about a very oddly-placed item:
"As luck would have it, and as odd as I am about such things, I get to be the lucky one to spot a gravestone cemented to the reef at right about the high-tide water line."
Keep in mind that this was more than four years before I found some like-minded people and became the Graveyard Rabbit that I am now.  


Stone mounted on the reef
 
Ellen May McEnroe Miles passed away in May of 1999.  I tried that day in 2007 and I have tried since to look up her name on the Internet but I have found very little about her.  I did find something on one of the ancestor sites but could not find out any real detail about her or her life.

Perhaps she was a family member of the family that lived in the house fronting the beach where we were.  Maybe she loved Hawaii and this was her final wish.  Maybe her ashes were spread here.

Stone at rising tide

The inscription says, "Soaring through the heavens."  Perhaps someone will see this and leave a comment about who she was and/or why her grave marker is here.  It is quite a conversation piece, if you happen to be around at low tide.

5 comments:

  1. I found a 'grave' at the base of a lighthouse. I took a pic. IT's SO sad. The girl suffered from bipolar disorder and jumped fromt he lighthouse onto the VERY pointy rocks below (not my ideal way to go at all!) I have the pic if you would like the fiole to post. Write me at afelinefan@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey feline, I'll send you a note offline and we can talk about it. Thank you for the offer!

      Delete
    2. Heya! I found out ALL about the poor lady. She jumped. She was very young - it was SO sad...

      Delete
  2. Hi Gale! Thanks for dropping by and for your comment! I was pretty shocked to see that stone there. Of course my husband says, "We're supposed to be fishing and you just go looking for dead people!" Or something like that. He wasn't happy. :) I still think it is so cool!

    ReplyDelete